tags, as close as possible to the opening tag. Creation Date: 08/03/2017 -->
(506) 453-9930info@frswc.ca M-F: 7:30am-5:30pm Sat: 7:30am-3:00pm

Frequently Asked Questions

Home / Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions:

Click on a question to reveal the answer.


Are milk cartons recyclable?

Yes milk cartons are recyclable in the Fredericton Region. The recycling of milk cartons became effective May 1, 2007. Milk cartons can be placed in blue recycling boxes and depots in the City of Fredericton and Town of Oromocto.


Can I recycle glass?

Glass refundable beverage containers can be taken to a redemption centre for deposit.
Non-refundable glass (i.e. jars, window panes) are currently not recyclable at FRSW. Lack of a viable market in close proximity is a major reason. Transportation, collection, and handling costs are very high for glass. This factor, along with the fact that glass is benign in the landfill (it is made of silica), contributes to our decision to not recycle glass. Glass can also contaminate other recyclable products.

Can I Recycle Styrofoam™ at FRSW?

Styrofoam™ often comes with a recycle number on the product, but it is not part of the recycle process at FRSW. Styrofoam™ is considered a contaminate with other FRSW recycle programs. You can place the item in your garbage.

Can I recycle florescent Lightbulbs?

Florescent lightbulbs cannot be recycled, but there are two ways to properly dispose of the products. FRSW recommends bringing the bulbs to its no charge service Household Hazardous Waste on-site depot each Wednesday (730 a.m. to 4 p.m.) or Saturday (730 a.m. to 3 p.m.). We are located at 1775 Alison Blvd. The bulbs can also be placed in your garbage bag, but we recommend wrapping them in newspaper to reduce the risk of breaking.

Where can I recycle my electronics?

Electronics can be recycled at:
1. Best Metal Bottles
2. Northside Redemption Centre
3. Southside Redemption
4. Tri R Redemption

Do I need to remove staples and paper clips?

No, you do not need to remove staples and paper clips. New advances in technologies have provided paper mills with processes to remove metals items. This, in turn, has made it easier for consumers to recycle.

What happens to the recyclables?

All the recyclable material collected in the Fredericton Region is sorted, baled and sold to different manufacturers that reuse it or recycle it into various new products. Some of the products being made into new products are:

  • Old newsprint is recycled into boxboard.
  • Cardboard is recycled into new cardboard.
  • Office paper is recycled into new paper products.
  • Plastic grocery bags are recycled into new grocery bags.
  • Aluminum (such as soft drink cans) is manufactured into aluminum sheeting.
  • Steel cans (such as soup and juice cans) can go into bus siding.
  • Some plastic containers are being made into polyester yarn for carpets, clothing or packaging.
  • Juice boxes are used for paper towel and tissue production.


What happens to the revenue generated from the sale of recyclable materials?

The revenue generated helps offset  some of the cost of the recycling program. The price for recyclables varies according to the product and the market available.


How do I properly dispose of fluorescent light bulbs and other bulbs?

FRSW does not recycle glass. Therefore all light bulbs are crushed and become part of the waste stream. FRSW hand sorts all its items, which is another reason why these are not recycled.  Fluorescent light bulbs are accepted at the HHW depot.

Can I Recycle Electronics?

FRSW does not recycle electronics such as computers, computer monitors, televisions etc. They are garbage items and can be brought to the landfill for proper disposal. You can call your collector if the size or amount of electronics is a concern.

Will I Get My Containers With HHW Product Back?

Unfortunately, the containers residents bring containing HHW of any variety will not be transferred to another on-site container and will be kept at FRSW for proper removal.

How do I get to the landfill site?

On New Brunswick Highway 7, North and South, take Exit 5. When driving South, turn right off exit 5 and then left onto Alison Boulevard. When driving North, turn left off exit 5 and then left onto Alison Boulevard. FRSW is located at 1775 Alison Blvd on the left.

Is This Recyclable?:

Refundable Beverage Containers

Non-glass refundable beverage containers can be placed in your Blue Box for curbside collection
All refundable beverage containers can be returned for a deposit to a local Redemption Centre.


All tires sold in the province are subject to a $4.50 (depending on size) surcharge, which covers the cost of recycling the tire.When new tires are purchased, the worn-out tire should be left at the tire retail outlet. Old tires are sent to Minto, NB for recycling at TRACC where they will be reprocessed into new rubber products.

For more information, contact:
Recycle NB
277 Main St.
Fredericton, NB
E3B 4Y9
Telephone: (506) 454-8473
Toll Free: (888) 322-8473
Fax: (506) 454-8471
Email: info@recyclenb.com

Waste Oil

Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission provides no charge service disposal of waste oil at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot.

Several garages in the Fredericton – Oromocto area will accept waste oil from do-it-yourself oil changers. Check with your favourite service station for more information.

Car Batteries

Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission provides no charge service disposal of car batteries at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot.

Rechargeable and Single Use Batteries

Rechargeable and single use batteries can be returned to several retail stores in the Fredericton Region and are accepted at our no charge HHW depot.

For a complete list, check the Call2Recycle website for the drop-off site nearest you at:



Use it up or give it away!

Fredericton Region Solid Waste provides no charge service disposal of paint at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot.

For disposal of water-based paint with your garbage, solidify the paint by mixing in sawdust, clay, peat or kitty litter and take it to the Regional Landfill or place it in your regular garbage.


Use them until empty or depressurize them by holding the cans upside down and dispensing outside in a safe area.  Unused or partially used cans can be brought to the HHW depot.

Propane Tanks

Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission provides no charge service disposal of propane tanks at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot. Alternatively, you can take them to a propane supplier for disposal.

Explosives, Flares, Fireworks, and Ammunition

Contact Your Local Police Department

Flammable Liquids (Gas and Paint Thinners)

Fredericton Region Solid Waste Commission provides no charge service disposal of propane tanks at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot. Alternatively, you can take them to a propane supplier for disposal.


Electronics such as old computers will be placed in the landfill. However, some groups recycle and refurbish old computers. One group is Computers for Schools which collects and refurbishes retired computer technology and distributes it – cost free – to public schools and First Nations schools in the province. For more information go to www.cfsnb.ca (English) or www.openb.ca (French).

Other Wastes

Contact the Department of Environment at 453-2690.